Advisor | Leadership
Prof. Gajendra P. S. Raghava
Background: Raghava is Professor and Head at Center for Computational Biology, Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology (IIIT-Delhi), India. Before joining IIIT-Delhi (Feb. 2017), he was working as Chief Scientist at Bioinformatics Centre, CSIR-Institute of Microbial Technology (IMTECH), Chandigarh, India. He did his M.Tech. from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), New Delhi in 1986. He was awarded a Ph.D. degree in Bioinformatics in 1996 by IMTECH and Panjab University, Chandigarh.
Professional Experience: He worked as Postdoctoral fellow at Oxford University, Oxford and European Bioinformatics Institute, Cambridge, UK (1996-98). Also worked as Bioinformatics specialist at UAMS, USA (2002-03 & 2006) where he established bioinformatics infrastructure. Raghava worked as visiting professor at POSTECH, South Korea (2005).
Scientific Contribution: Raghava is a strong supporter of open-source software and open access, all resources developed by his group are free for scientific use. His group developed more than 200 web servers and 40 databases in the field of computer-aided drug/vaccine design (probably highest number of services developed/maintained by a single group in the world). These services are heavily used by scientific community. His group published more than 200 research papers in reputed journals with average impact factor of around 4.0. Most of papers are highly cited with total citations more than 10500 with h-index 55 and g-index 159 as per google scholar. In addition, the group contributed/maintained number of websites that include i) CRDD, ii) OSCADD, iii) OSDDlinux, iv) GPSR Packages.
Major Awards/Honours: He got following major national awards/recognitions
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award in Biological Sciences, 2008
- National Bioscience Award for Career Development, for year 2005-2006
- NASI-Reliance Industries Platinum Jubilee Award, 2009
- Thomson Reuters Research Excellence - India Research Front Awards, 2009
- Prestigious J. C. Bose National Fellowship by DST, 2010.
- Lakshmipat Singhania-IIM Lucknow, 2011
- Fellow of National Academy of Sciences (F.N.A.Sc.)
- Fellow of Indian Academy of Science (F.A.Sc.) Bengaluru