Six-months online research-based training programme on Drug Discovery against human infections and diseases
Infectious and non-infectious diseases are continually emerging around the world, posing a critical threat to human health in modern society. Although several drugs are available against known human infections and diseases and presented various therapeutic options, the drugs for emerging infections and diseases are either not available or very limited and highly toxic. Moreover, identifying therapeutic targets against the infection/diseases have been a challenging task for the researchers. However, the advancement of bioinformatics and computational chemistry approaches, including next-generation sequencing (NGS) methods, system biology, and computational aided drug approaches, have been recently advantageous in the precise identification of potential drug targets and respective therapeutics designing for emerging infections and diseases. Furthermore, unlike traditional drug discovery approaches, a consortium of bioinformatics and computational chemistry approaches has already proven to rapid the drug discovery processing against emerging infections and diseases, for instance, using drug repositioning methods. Under these views, this six-month research-based training programme on drug discovery against human infections and diseases is designed with a key motivation to train the young researchers with advance approaches in computational drug discovery for prevalent chronic infections and diseases.
- 1st month: Hands-on training in computational drug discovery with interactive lecture sessions: Biological databases, basic NGS tools, system biology tools, homology modeling, drug target prediction, computational chemistry, virtual screening, molecular docking, complex minimization and refinement, MD simulations and post-simulation analysis.
- 2nd month: Literature Review, Presentation, and assignment: Research topic preparation and assignment, searching and reading topic relevant research articles, weekly presentation of the studied material, writing background and objectives of the study, and regular assignment for implementation of learned tools.
- 3rd month: Experimental work Implementation of learned tools to performed experiments on allotted topic, methodology writing.
- 4th month: Experimental work & report writing Implementation of learned tools to performed experiments on allotted topic, writing results and discussion.
- 5th month: Complete manuscript writing Manuscript draft preparation by the participants under guidance of their mentor.
- 6th month: Manuscript evaluation, refinement, and final submission in the reputed journal by mentor. Evaluation, refinement, and final shape to manuscript by the mentors and final submission in the reputed journal.
Duration of training : Six months (16th Aug - 15th Feb) 5 day in week
Schedule of classes : Five days in a week | Approx 2 hours per day
Timings : 03:00 PM to 5:00 PM
Eligibility criteria : B.Tech/B. Pharma / Postgraduate / Ph.D. in the area of life sciences / Chemistry / Computational Biology
Fee : Rs. 30,000 + GST
Total seats : 20
Participants successfully completing the training program will be provided with certificate.
The entire training will be online and shall have following prerequisites:
- Participants must have access to the laptop/desktop with stable internet connection.
- Basic knowledge of computer will be beneficial.
- Participants must possess a google account (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Note: We will provide only one topic to one student and he or she will be the first author of the prepared manuscript. The manuscript work of any candidate will start only after fulfilling the training schedule and tasks given by mentors. Progress report of each participant will be timely monintered by Prof. GPS Raghava.